[Satosa-dev] breaking change to LDAP attribute store microservice?

Matthew X. Economou xenophon at irtnog.org
Mon Sep 18 15:24:30 CEST 2017

Scott Koranda writes:

> ordered_identifier_candidates:
>   - attribute_names: [epuid]
>   - attribute_names: [eppn, name_id]
>      name_id_format: urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:nameid-format:persistent
>   - attribute_names: [eppn, edupersontargetedid]
>   - attribute_names: [eppn]
>   - attribute_names: [name_id]
>     name_id_format: urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:nameid-format:persistent
>     add_scope: issuer_entityid
>   - attribute_names: [edupersontargetedid]
>     add_scope: issuer_entityid

I think this is great.  It's much easier to understand.  Also, this style of nested dictionaries matches how many other projects use YAML (e.g., Ansible, Bukkit, Grav, SaltStack).

Is it possible to detect in code whether you're dealing with the legacy dictionary keywords or nested list configuration style and emit a deprecation warning?  SATOSA is at version 3.4.8 right now.  Maybe you could phase out the old style configs by 3.5 or 3.6, or perhaps wait until 4.0 (major version bumps being the canonical "breaking change" signal).  I don't know what makes the most sense to the rest of the userbase, but it might be nice to have some kind of transitional period.

Best wishes,
Matthew

--
"The lyf so short, the craft so longe to lerne."