[Satosa-dev] Microservices installation

Ivan Kanakarakis ivan.kanak at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 13:56:50 CET 2017

Hey everyone,

Now that satosa-microservices are split into their own repository we
should set the process which acquires them back to the setup. There
are many options here:

- have each microservice be its own python package and selectively
install it using pip
- have the microservices repo be a package itself and use pip to install it
- have microservices repo as a git module under satosa (not suggested)
- have microservices as something completely external and fetch using
http/git (as shown below). This could mean a lot of different things -
ie, should microservices use code from satosa? if so, satosa is a
dependency to microservices and as such this makes microservices a
package with dependencies, etc.
- (more options?)

Skoranda mentioned that

> If you need the LDAP Attribute Store microservice you must also install ldap3 using pip:

This indicates that certain microservices have their own dependencies.
Users cannot guess what dependencies are needed for a certain
microservice. This information should be explicit and automatically
resolved by the microservice installation process.
This leads me to think to having each microservice as a separate
(python) package, with its own dependencies and deployment process, is
the way to go.

This is not a simple decision to make. Let's have a discussion on how
the dev-community think it is better to be solved.

Cheers,

PS: This discussion was triggered by skoranda's PR here:
https://github.com/IdentityPython/SATOSA/pull/168#discussion_r149634137

--
Ivan c00kiemon5ter Kanakarakis  >:3