[Idpy-discuss] Branching and Versioning - wiki pages

Ivan Kanakarakis ivan.kanak at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 17:46:55 UTC 2019

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 at 19:36, Heather Flanagan
<hlflanagan at sphericalcowgroup.com> wrote:

> Hola a todos!
>
> I’ve added a brief wiki page to the SATOSA, pySAML2, and pyXMLSecurity repositories about branching and versioning. The text for each is as follows:
>
> ---
>
> The idpy projects (including this one) are maintained by a few core maintainers and a larger number of community volunteers. The core maintainers focus entirely on the master branch, developing and evolving the code there. The community volunteers maintain the point-in-time minor and patch releases.
>
> For every major release, the core maintainers will create a branch. All work on that branch, including bug fixes and minor enhancements from both the volunteers and the core maintainers, will be coordinated and maintained by the community volunteers.
>
> If you would like to be a community volunteer with the appropriate permissions to control a branch, please contact us at discuss at idpy.org.

I think this is good as a basis to expand upon. We can certainly
explain more what we mean by a community volunteer and how this will
work (probably  craft a sketch like the one we had on the whiteboard).

> Should we add this to any other repository? pyFF? pyOP?

This will be common for all projects under IdPy. I think it is a bit
cumbersome to have it replicated on all repositories. Maybe we can
have it as part of the governance repo (and later on the website) and
have any other projects point there. What do you think?

Cheers,

--
Ivan c00kiemon5ter Kanakarakis  >:3