[Idpy-discuss] CLA/CCLA message sent

Heather Flanagan hlflanagan at sphericalcowgroup.com
Mon Apr 9 22:51:33 UTC 2018

On 4/9/18 6:21 AM, Roland Hedberg wrote:

>> 9 apr. 2018 kl. 11:46 skrev Leif Johansson <leifj at sunet.se>:
>>
>> maybe we should have a conversation about the current approach given the
>> feedback from PeterS.
>
> What feedback would that be ?

Peter's concerns, which he sent directly to me (and I roped in Leif)
after receiving one of the "CLAs are coming" messages, are along these
lines:

1. For people contributing in a mix of work on their own time and work
done to the benefit of their employer, especially in the small
departments that are part of a much larger institution, getting the
employer to sign a CCLA is going to be very hard and almost certainly
limit who contributes to the project. There is no reasonable way for the
employer to know whether the coder has violated any copyright or patents.

2. Inbound=outbound agreements should suffice (see Bradley M. Kuhn's
explanation here:
https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2014/jun/09/do-not-need-cla/ ) and GitHub
already accepts that (see
https://help.github.com/articles/github-terms-of-service/#6-contributions-under-repository-license)